Boss Talk #15: Copycats, Inventors vs. Operators. Hiring SDRs, and more
A grab bag episode that spans contrarian strategy, drop-in audio copycats, lessons from hip hop, recruiting sales development reps, and more... with a special guest appearance by Fab 5 Freddy.
- Fab 5 Freddy on New York in the 70s, Warhol, Blondie, Basquiat, and Yo! MTV Raps [1:40]
- Contrarian strategy and challenging assumptions [5:12]
- Boring AI and solving meaningful problems [8:42]
- Drop-in audio copycats [14:39]
- How is copying software different from remixing hip hop? [21:07]
- Do you want a CEO as an inventor or an operator? [24:12]
- Recruiting sales development reps [30:34]
- Being a boss and having a personal life [36:56]
- How do you tell the story of letting someone go? [42:47]
- Best practices for delegating responsibility [49:46]
- Worst boss advice Ben and Ali have received [57:15]
Boss Talk is the Clubhouse show where a16z cofounder Ben Horowitz and Ali Ghodsi, the Founder/CEO of Databricks, discuss CEO stuff, leadership stuff, management stuff... boss stuff. Live every Tuesday 5-6pm on Clubhouse.
For more a16z Clubhouse shows, follow the a16z Club on Clubhouse or visit www.a16z.com/clubhouse.