Boss Talk #13: Book Club for Bosses
Ben, Ali, and Marc on the best business, management, and leadership books for bosses.
Note: the recording of this episode starts a minute or two into the show.
- Ali recommends: The Hard Thing about Hard Things by Ben Horowitz [0:18]
- Ben recommends: High Output Management by Andy Grove [4:36]
- Marc recommends: Who Really Matters: The Core Group Theory of Power, Privilege, and Success by Art Kleiner [10:48]
- Best read for enterprise sales: Power Base Selling by Jim Holden, et al [13:06]
- Microsoft, Google, government contracts, and politicized workplaces [16:28]
- Marc recommends: The Tyranny of Structurelessness by Jo Freeman [29:32]
- Ali recommends: Radical Candor by Kim Scott [33:19]
- Ben recommends: No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention by Erin Meyer and Reed Hastings [44:19]
- Ben recommends: Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon by Colin Bryar [50:28]
- How they are approaching the return to work and remote work [53:00]
Boss Talk is the Clubhouse show where a16z cofounder Ben Horowitz and Ali Ghodsi, the Founder/CEO of Databricks, discuss CEO stuff, leadership stuff, management stuff... boss stuff. Live every Tuesday 5-6pm on Clubhouse.
For more a16z Clubhouse shows, follow the a16z Club on Clubhouse or visit www.a16z.com/clubhouse.