a16z Infra #5: Category Creation with Armon Dadger (HashiCorp) and Stephen Mullaney (Aviatrix)
Creating a new category is often seen as the holy grail for startups. But can you actually create a category? And if so, how do you do it? When to launch, branding, pricing and packaging, and more with category makers.
- What makes a category? [0:37]
- The leading indicator? Everyone thinks you're crazy. [5:36]
- Can you create a category whole cloth? [7:02]
- How to create a category [12:05]
- The best category creation CEOs are product marketers [15:55]
- Category creation tactics: certification programs [18:54]
- Category creation tactics: persona-based storytelling [22:17]
- Is there a repeatable way to make a category? [25:35]
- The role of the CTO and product teams in creating the message [29:22]
- How do you structure product marketing? [45:16]
This is an excerpt from the a16z Clubhouse show a16z Infra. To catch full episodes of the show, follow the a16z Club on Clubhouse.